The best thing about decorating your bathroom with a beach theme decor is that you can put to practical and aesthetic use the wonderful remnants of family beach vacations.
With souvenirs you've bought over the years, driftwood art you've collected or bought, and seashells from long walks on the beach, you can accent your bathroom with relaxing beach-themed colors and enjoy your own little oasis every day.
Here are some ideas:
- If you have an eclectic collection of glass jars or containers, store your shells in them. Be sure and put the unusual ones on the outer edges so they can be easily seen. Several containers on a shelf offer a striking collage.
- Consider your walls. Many beach houses have a bead board panel or clapboard. Beaded board paneling is inexpensive and easy to install. If you already have it installed consider painting it one of the sea-inspired colors listed below.
- Use your driftwood art in creative ways. Can it double as a shelf for propping starfish and shells?
- Choose your colors based on those inspired by the sea. Coral and shell-pink, the color of sand, and soft blues and greens all contribute to your beach theme. You can go bright on any of those shades for a more uplifting feel.
- Beach house floors don't get a lot of special attention. They're plain because they take a lot of abuse from sand, salt, and water. Keep your floors simple and dress them up with colorful thick, absorbent rugs. You can also consider a sisal rug.
- Use wicker accents if you have them. A wicker shelf with multi-colored baskets for storage and driftwood art, a wicker magazine rack, and even a little wicker chair with a brightly colored cushion all lend a beach feel.
- Prop starfish and large shells on your windowsills (or that shelf you made from your driftwood art). Groupings are especially appealing.
- Frame a simple mirror with sand-dollars or flat shells. Look on YouTube for a video on how to make shells adhere well to glass surfaces.
- Consider jars and other glass containers filled with sand and sea glass as well.
- Use a large shell as a soap-dish.
- Don't forget plants. If you have a corner, artificial grasses or bamboo in a large vase is a perfect accent.
- Tap into the ocean scent. Find an attractive air freshener that has a seaside scent. Consider candles with a similar scent for quiet bath-times.
- Use a few nautical accents. Pirate figurines, nets hung in a corner (with a couple of starfish tucked inside), and anchors make wonderful accents. A paddle screwed to the wall is a quick, cheap and easy accent item.
- Finish it off with photos. Make copies of your favorite family beach vacation photos and decorate the walls with the, framed in rustic frames.
Your bathroom will be a relaxing oasis full of wonderful memories for the entire family!